SSB4 Roster Prediction
As any of you who check our main page know, we try to keep an updated roster of the confirmed characters as we expect it to appear in the final game. And in the process of putting together the latest version to include Diddy Kong, we started to get some idea about where Sakurai might be going with the SSB4 Roster. So we here at SSB4Bingo present to you our prediction on the final roster, with a little help from all of you and your bingo cards. Let’s take a look, shall we?
We’ve made only two cuts from the Brawl roster: Ike, and Wolf.
Ike has been cut because:
- There’s only room for two Fire Emblem characters giving the series’ popularity. (Go play Fire Emblem: Awakening! It’s awesome!)
- Fire Emblem: Awakening is by far the most successful (both critically and financially) FE game ever, so with Marth confirmed they’re going to give the spot to an FE:A character. (We’ll go into which character that is below.)
- He is the third least frequent veteran on your bingo cards, ahead of only Dr Mario and Pichu, and right behind Toon Link and Roy.
Wolf has been cut because:
- His clone status (perceived or otherwise) has earned him much ire from the fans.
- Star Fox hasn’t had a new game since before Brawl, so it’s prominence is pretty low these days
- He’s the seventh least frequent veteran putting him ahead of Snake and Toon Link.
If you want more reasons why they might get the cut, check out this article from ChallengerApproaching. We’re not saying they will be cut (if Toon Link can make it, anybody can), but they are the characters we think are most likely to be cut.
Now, to make additions, we needed to figure out what the final roster size would be. We’re following the popular guess of it being somewhere in the mid 40s, and have gone with 44 characters (plus a random square) in a 9*5 grid for two reasons: Brawl went with a 9*4 grid for the final roster, and Rosalina has pushed the series limit from 4 to 5, meaning if they want them all in one line like they did in Brawl they’ve got to push it to 5 rows.
This gives us 9 more character than Brawl, 5 of which have already been reveal, giving us 4 left, plus the two we’ve cut, for a total of 6 unrevealed newcomers. So let’s talk about who we think will fill them, with a little help from you guys and your bingo cards, going from left to right.
How many of use were expecting Dixie Kong to get revealed with DK: Tropical Freeze’s release? And how many are still hoping she’ll be revealed? She’s still got a big chance, being popular and relavent, so we’re giving her the new spot in the second row. Because in that row it’s between her and Waluigi, and she’s way more popular than he is with you guys.
Given the limit increase to series characters from 4 to 5, there’s no question the Zelda franchise is going to get a 5th character. So which character will it be? Well, you guys have have two newcomers from the Zelda franchise at equal popularity: Tetra and Ghirahim. Now, since we can only chose one, we’re going with Tetra. We believe Tetra (aka Toon Zelda) is more relevant than Ghirahim. thanks to the Wind Waker HD release, Toon Link’s confirmation in SSB4, and this particular photo:
Even if this is an assist trophy and not a transformed Toon Zelda, this Darknut is in the Toon Zelda style, which we think helps Toon Zelda’s chances over Ghirahim. Not to mention she’s been in just as many games as Toon Link, while Ghirahim has only been in one. So we’re going with Toon Zelda for the fifth Zelda slot.
The Metroid series deserves another representative (at least according to us in the west), and the most likely candidate is Ridley. Plus Sakurai has been teasing him so much. The other choice would have been to give Kid Icarus two newcomers, but we don’t think that would be likely, since the series isn’t as popular. That being said though…
The Kid Icarus series is popular enough for one newcomer, thanks to the reception to Kid Icarus: Uprising. (Go play Kid Icarus:Uprising! It’s awesome!) And out of the Kid Icarus characters, you guys far and away believe Palutena is the most likely candidate, as the attention those “leaked” photos generated proved!
Just like our prediction that Zelda will be getting a 5th character, you can bet Pokemon will get a 5th character as well. And who better than the one that everyone wants? Seriously, Mewtwo is the most frequent character on the SSB4Bingo cards, on more than 85% of your cards! I can’t think of another Pokemon character more likely to get in, and apparently neither can you can you guys, since the next most frequent pokemon character is Zoroark, on just over 10% of your cards.
For our final prediction we’re going to bring in our new second Fire Emblem character, but not the one that all of you want. You guys favor Chrom twice as much as his time traveling daughter Lucina, but we have a few reason for favoring Lucina over Chrom.
- She’s much more interesting than her father. Sorry Chrom, you’re a good guy but your daughter has a way better personality and back story.
- She’s much more versatile than her father. Since she inherits all of her father’s job options, plus all of her mother’s (whomever you choose that to be), so whatever move set you could come up with for Chrom she could do, and then some. This would help make her more distinct from the other sword wielders, and could give her a more interesting Final Smash
- She’s the real hero of Fire Emblem: Awakening. Getting a little spoilery here, so I’ll try to keep this brief: Go play Fire Emblem: Awakening! It’s awesome! But seriously, she travels from a post apocalyptic future to the save her past from one of the biggest baddies (both literally and figuratively) in Nintendo history. Not to mention what happens if you’re her mother… (Serious Spoilers!)
- She’s a woman, and we all know Smash Bros needs more women to represent how kickass women can be.
And those are our predictions of Super Smash Bros 4! We’re about 95% confident on our selections, especially about which series are going to get newcomers, but you never know with Sakurai. Nobody saw Wii Fit Trainer coming! So maybe he has some more curve balls to throw our way, like maybe we’ll have 49 characters instead of 44. We just won’t know until Sakurai reveals it, and it doesn’t look like he’s going to talk anytime soon.
So what do you guys say? Did we miss something? Do you think we’re on the right track, or totally off the ball? Let us know!
Seems like a pretty darn reasonable roster to us! We’d miss Wolf pretty dearly….but getting Ridley and Palutena out of the deal would help us get over that pretty quick.